Our Club meets each Wednesday at noon on the Banquet Level of the Best Western Lee-Jackson Inn. The first meeting in each month is devoted to club business, the remaining meetings feature programs that are designed to keep members aware of happenings in our community and human needs we can help meet.
The Club hosts monthly socials at a local restaurant (currently the Picadilly Brew Pub), an annual Picnic at our shelter in Barnett Park for members and their families, and an annual Installation and Awards Banquet where our officers are installed for the upcoming year and outstanding service by members is recognized.
Twice each year, our Club conducts a Kiwanis Community Pancake Day (learn more) to raise funds to support our service activities. Pancake Days are a major reason our cub enjoys a strong image and positive reputation in our community. Each event attracts more than 6,000 patrons – a remarkable level of support in a community of our size.
Perhaps most important, however, are our Club’s community service activities. These include activities like:
- Holiday bell ringing and food box preparation for the Salvation Army,
- Our annual Christmas Party for area children,
- We support several American Red Cross blood collections,
- Each August we provide a pancake and sausage breakfast to children with cancer at nearby Camp Fantastic,
- Members participate in the annual Relay for Life fund raiser for the American Cancer Society,
- The Club sponsors a team each year to participate in the United Way of Northern Shenandoah County’s “Day of Caring” that does work projects for those in need in our community.
- We periodically clean area roadways as a participant in VDOT’s “Adopt a Highway” program,
- We “Bowl for Kids Sake” to rise funds for Big Brothers/Big sisters,
- We participate in the annual Kiwanis “Ducky Derby” to raise funds for regional pediatric trauma hospitals for children,
- and we participate in a variety of local Chamber of Commerce events.
It’s safe to say, there is plenty to keep a local Kiwanian active and engaged in helping meet needs in our local community and beyond. (Learn more about the area organizations we help support).